Kawie Central  
Welcome to Kawie Central  

Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Where to Ride > Flat Track & TT

Flat Track & TT For the dirt oval and tourist trophy crowd.

» Site Navigation
 > Forum
 > FAQ
» ----------------------
» Other Sites
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Recent Threads
Title, Username, & Date
KFX400 - What...
KPC
2016 KAWASAKI...
Off-Road Hub
Thought this...
NMKAWIERIDER
Kx 450f
KTM265
Can-Am...
Off-Road Hub

Old 10-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Jay
Default First try at flat track

Well, I finally made it to a flat track race. It was in Ada, Oklahoma this weekend. A small, indoor track where they race all winter Let me tell you, it was L-O-U-D in there! Especially when the vintage 4-stroke bikes ran.

I was terribly slow, but had a good time. The first 2-minute practice was scary as hell. A bunch of the pro guys were on the track at the same time. I felt like I was just getting in everybody's way. But, almost all of them were really cool. There was one guy who I kept noticing out of the corner of my eye laughing at me and my quad. Screw him. I didn't go there to look cool.

There was also proof that it's the rider and not the machine that wins races. One of the pros normally rides a built 450R but had broken the motor earlier in the week. So, he brought his "trail quad", a well-worn 400EX with some mods (not sure about internals). For the pro class, I'm guessing he was about middle of the pack on horsepower.

Guess what? He SMOKED everybody. And none of them were slow. But, it was a short track. Technique was the name of the game. Those guys made it look so much easier than it really is it's insane.

I really want to give it another go. The quad wants to get up on two wheels a little too easily. I still need a lowering kit. One of the pros suggested widening the front a little. The track is really loose, so most of them run the front a little wider than the rear. Got lots of good advice about setup and stuff, and a plenty of encouragement to keep trying.

I'm having a little trouble getting comfortable on the right-hand controls while I'm leaned over in the corner. My hand tends to slide toward the center of the bars. The problem with that is it puts the heel of my palm really close to the throttle. When I tighten my grip or reach for the brake, my hand tends to squeeze the throttle a little even though I'm not using my thumb at all. I either need to change/adjust my throttle or find a grip that won't let me slide my hand. I might try a motorcycle grip with a tall flange instead of an ATV-style grip and just trim the flange to clear the throttle.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:04 PM

KTM265 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265

You got your first one under your belt...good for you. What are you running for tires? Loose track you want tires with tread...tight track you want smooth tires...dang near slicks if you got them. Tire presure is also a critical thing...On short tracks its all about cornering and handling...If your machine can't handle a corner, you'll lose every time. Hold the inside line and make they go around you. You probably noticed on the short tracks those fast guys are in a constant power slide...that is pushing it to the limits.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Jay

I'm running American Racers with pretty deep grooves all around. SD23 (softest) compound. Ran 10 psi in them to start. The pros said they run 8-12 depending on the track.

I wasn't having much trouble holding the inside. It would bicycle a little when I nailed it on the corner exit. It seemed worse later in the night. I think if I'd had the guts to powerslide more it would have been OK.

The pros seemed to come down the center of the straight, then go into a slide right before the curve started and were in a countersteer until they were 1/3 of the way down the other straight. So, yeah, almost one big power slide. They were so fluid it was a thing of beauty.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 PM

You said the key word...Smooth. That is the trick...Take note of them and try to ride like that. The V is a great flat track machine...not a lot of people know how good it is...I run in the open class and consitantly finish 2 or 3 and that was without a sway bar...If I were to really get serious with my V and just set it up for Flat track only there is no doubt I would be out front...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 AM

AussieV

congrats Jay

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

Im racing speedway this weekend, so im in a frantic rush to get everything ready.
Just finished straightening the frame. just need to gusset and weld it. Oh and I have to do the tie rods.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 AM

Hey Mike...Let me know if you need some tie-rods...I'll hook you up buddy.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 AM

Bubbasoffroad2

Cool deal i bet it had your heart beating good a little to crazy for me i would love to try it without anybody else on the track though :lol: i'f you keep at it you will get the hang of it and show them what the V can do :D
2004 FST 800, Stage 3 cam's, ported head's, 38mm carb's with big intakes, Stage 3 clutch, Elka's all around,+7 swingarm, Hiper's, PEP steering dampener, +1 Herrmann stem, ODI grip's, Banshee thumb throttle with billet lever and cap,Verde Graphic's,Lot's of Venforcer's goodies, Digitron tach and then some
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72.../BubbaSig1.jpg
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 AM

Jay

I do wish I could get some solo practice time just to get a feel for how to enter the corner. When you only go 5 or 10 laps per race, you don't get much of a chance to get into a groove.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 AM

That is the problem with Flat track...if you are set up correctly and machine is working great...you can race all night. If you have the set up wrong, you are screwed...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM

Jay

Not at this place.. you'll get two 2-minute practices if you're lucky. Everybody gets to run in the heat and the main unless there's a really big turnout for a class. The heat is 5 laps, the main is 10. When a class has a big turnout, they run a heat race and a last chance qualfier. They don't start practice until 7:00 PM, so it has to be done that way to get all the classes done within a reasonable time frame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Where to Ride > Flat Track & TT