Kawie Central  
Welcome to Kawie Central  

Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Where to Ride > Flat Track & TT

Flat Track & TT For the dirt oval and tourist trophy crowd.

» Site Navigation
 > Forum
 > FAQ
» ----------------------
» Other Sites
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Recent Threads
Title, Username, & Date
2016 KAWASAKI...
Off-Road Hub
Thought this...
NMKAWIERIDER
KFX400 - What...
KPC
Kx 450f
KTM265
Can-Am...
Off-Road Hub

Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Jay
Default North Forty Quad Challenge

Anybody in the Sherman, TX area? The North Forty cycle park is having their Quad Flat Track and TT challenge on Oct. 14. I plan to be there holding down last place with my fat ass. I've never raced flat track before so it ought to be an adventure.

Even if you aren't going to race, if you live in the area come out and check it out.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM

KTM265 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
Default Re: North Forty Quad Challenge

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Anybody in the Sherman, TX area? The North Forty cycle park is having their Quad Flat Track and TT challenge on Oct. 14. I plan to be there holding down last place with my fat ass. I've never raced flat track before so it ought to be an adventure.

Even if you aren't going to race, if you live in the area come out and check it out.
Jay, what are you using for a set up? I have done a bunch of flat track racing and might be able to help you out...
Old 09-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Jay

Right now I have garage sale parts from eBay. LOL no budget

Front: 18x6-10 American Racer; 1 SD23, 1 SD33
Rear: 19x10-10 American Racer; both SD23
Comet black primary spring
Dalton 56g weights with 1.5g rivets
White Bros. E-Series
12-hole airbox mod, needs jetting so some holes taped

I'm looking for a used sway bar. Venforcer's lowering kit is a little steep, so I'm looking at other options for lowering. I may strap it down with limiting straps like they use on off-road buggies and trucks.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Check the track rules before strapping down the suspension...some tracks don't allow that. If you can get your hands on a Orange/Blue spring you might like that better for racing...American Racers are good...I started out on an old used set and did pretty well with them. Hoosiers are about the stickest tire I know...they hook up hard on hard tracks...best option is when you get your next set of tires, try something different so you have a variety of tires to use at the track pending track conditions...Also a good bicycle air pump to adjust tire presures...worlds of difference. I used Ven's kit, dropped my V down to 4 inches with Elka suspension...I might have an alternative if you can't afford Ven's kit...PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some options...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:04 PM

I've never raced but I have played around on a flat track... It will plum wear you butt out!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Jay

What I want more than anything right now is a steering stabilizer. I played around on the North Forty track a couple of weeks ago. The straights were rough because it hadn't been groomed recently. My front tires wanted to follow every groove. I had a heck of a time holding onto it in the middle part of the straights.

I probably need to check my toe-in as well, because I think that will affect the way it follows grooves.

KTM, how much pressure do you run in your American Racers?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 AM

I tend to run higher presures...I like to be able to break the rear free easier in the corners...most tracks are short so set them up to corner. If you are fast in the corners, you'll win a lot of races.

Practice getting off the seat...you basically get as low as you can on the inside peg...I just drape my right leg over the seat and my heal holds grips the right side...you steer with the throttle and weight shift....
Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Jay

What do you think of as higher pressure? For my testing I ran 10 pounds in all 4 tires based on some other stuff I read. It felt pretty good, but I didn't play around with any other pressures. I could control the slide really well at 10.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:40 PM

10 psi is low for me...I run 13-15 psi...I also like low profile or thick wall tires that don't roll on the rim side to side...feel solid. That outside rear wheel takes a lot abuse when powersliding and the last thing you need to do is break a bead...Mike Walker had that problem when I was racing with him at Farley on the indoor flat track...
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Word to the wise if you add a sway bar...The V gets very twichie with that on. Make sure your toe is set...I set mine at 1/16 in with rider when I run the sway bar...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Where to Ride > Flat Track & TT