Kawie Central  
Welcome to Kawie Central  

Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Other Kawie Forums > All Other Kawasaki Vehicle Forums > Motorcycle Forums > Dirt Bikes

» Site Navigation
 > Forum
 > FAQ
» ----------------------
» Other Sites
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Recent Threads
Title, Username, & Date
RuneScape:...
MickeyKlawiter51
MickeyKlawiter51
RuneScape
MickeyKlawiter51
RuneScape
MickeyKlawiter51
MickeyKlawiter51

Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM

josh97546 is on a distinguished road
Default KX500 electrical issues

Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I recently picked up a '91 KX 500 from a friend of mine. Supposedly, it ran great when parked. But, the kill switch is missing, and it looks like the guy monkeyed around with the wiring a bit.So far, no start. There are some splices, and also some "extra" wires hanging around, and the wiring colors do not match. So far, my kickstart is more of just a kick, and not a start. I can get a good backfire out of it, but its not roaring to life like it should. I am wondering if anyone has access to a wiring diagram, so I can confirm the way it is hooked up. Yes, I know, go get a manual. I have one currently being shipped to my door as we speak. But that means 7 -10 business days before I can fix it! I can't wait that long! BTW, I took out the plug, held it against the frame, and observed what seemed a feeble, but adequate spark. There is good compression, and everything seems to be in order. Besides the ignition wires.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

ONROPE has disabled reputation

Sounds like something going on with the coil pack. I know quite often kill switches are wired into this one way or another.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 PM

that's basically what I was wondering. It seems that the stator wires are all hooked into the system, but there is a red, and a yellow coming from the "ignitor" that aren't hooked up. My conclusion, i am getting spark because I am cranking the kick start. But I don't have the generator sending juice back to keep it running. Sound correct?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Well, I finally got my top end set, and got to spend some quality time with the bike. Everything internal looked great, with the exception of one little o ring. There are these little o-rings that go around the round "guides" for the K.I.P.S. system, and one of them got pinched by whomever did prior work on the bike. That little interference ended up causing a failure of the base gasket, leaving the case unsealed. Everything is all buttoned up now. But I am still stuck with the strange wiring from the stator. Someone has put in a lighting kit, but didn't go all the way and finish hooking it up. I am STILL getting a healthy backfire, but no start?!?!?! All of the color coded wires are hooked up (white/red stripe, black/white, etc..) The only one left is a yellow, coming up from the stator. I am left with no-where to plug it in to. So, the backfire tells me I must be close, but something is still a bit off. I tried to put it off as "weak kicking" but I have been at it for a while, and I am beginning to suspect trouble.

BTW: Fresh gas 32:1, drained tank, new plug. Only thing left is to check for plugged jets, but I just got the darned thing back together!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM

KTM265 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265

Congrats on owning a rocket of a bike... Be careful, that 500 has arm stretching power.

Jetting on 2 strokes is pretty critical. Too bad it hasn't been ridden in a while, that would help by reading the old plug. If it has set for a while, you will want to clean that carb. It will save you a lot of kicking and cusing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawie Central Forums > Other Kawie Forums > All Other Kawasaki Vehicle Forums > Motorcycle Forums > Dirt Bikes