Off-Road Hub
Thought this...
NMKAWIERIDER
Kx 450f
KTM265
Can-Am...
Off-Road Hub

Kawie Central Forums

Kawie Central Forums (http://www.kawiecentral.com/forum/index.php)
-   KFX700 Chassis & Electrical (http://www.kawiecentral.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   KFX wont start- no spark (http://www.kawiecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6703)

AUSKFX 11-16-2008 03:43 AM

Hi all,

Great sit here have been reading up alot on the KFX700 but had my first problem, hence my first post. Went out to trails today but found my V wouldnt start. Kicks over ok but wont fire. my mechanic mate did a test and found there is no spark getting to the plugs. Couldnt fing why. anyone had this prob of know of a common reason for this. Plugs are near new and have checked all fuses etc. Any Ideas?????

Adirondack Man 11-16-2008 10:22 AM

Did your mechanic mate just hold the spark plug near the engine, while turning it over, to determine no spark, or did he put a tester on the spark plug wire? Also, is there no spark at both plugs, or just one? If it is at both plugs, there has to be a common problem.... Perhaps a bad CDI unit? Do you know anyone with another KFX700? If so, try swapping out the CDI unit and if you have spark then. I am not a mechanic, but it seems that you are going to have to try isolating what is causing the no spark problem. Good luck!

NMKAWIERIDER 11-16-2008 10:58 AM

All that Adirondack Man said plus sometimes the key switch goes bad, sometimes the bar kill switch has a problem, check the coil(s) electrical connections, any buss connecters. Probably CDI though like AM said.

Adirondack Man 11-16-2008 12:14 PM

Check the things that BF Freak said as well. I do not think it is the coils, or the key switch though. Here is my thinking on those. I have a key switch that is going bad on my Prairie. When it does not work, the quad will not turn over at all. I have to hit the key switch housing a few times and then she will turn over. I really should replace it one of these days! :goofy:

As for the coils, I believe there is a coil for each plug. That is why I asked if he checked both plugs. It seems highly coincidental that both coils would go at exactly the same time...... Still, they could.. so check them out.

AUSKFX 11-17-2008 03:03 AM

Thanks guys all great advise, a few more things ill have to check. I dint think it would be the kill switch though as it doesnt kick over at all with this off. We only checked 1 plug (the easy one to get at, the front) and checked it with a mutli meter.I had thought CDI but wondered if it would go so suddenly, quad was fine last weekend. unfortunatelty i dont know anyone else over here with a KFX 700 so might have to do more testing to try and isolate exactly what it is,

thanks again

Enigma 11-17-2008 03:24 AM

If I had to guess its a faulty CDI or tip over sensor switch.

You have anybody nearby to borrow a CDI from as a tester?

RPM 11-18-2008 11:15 PM

When I lost my CDI, it went instantly. It would turn over all day, but no fire. I'm with everyone else on this, my bet would be the CDI.

NMKAWIERIDER 11-19-2008 10:15 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RPM @ Nov 19 2008, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

When I lost my CDI, it went instantly. It would turn over all day, but no fire. I&#39;m with everyone else on this, my bet would be the CDI.[/b]
You know, I keep my stock CDI in my rear trunk just in case. I was thinking of taking it out because I have never needed it...but now, I think I&#39;ll leave it there for a while. It doesn&#39;t take up that much space.:)

RPM 11-19-2008 12:54 PM

I carry an extra FST CDI and my Stocker at all times.

AUSKFX 11-28-2008 06:52 PM

ok looks like its def the CDI took it off and it looks like a small bomb went off inside it!. the back has chunks of what looks like Quarts and some resistors sticking out of it. anyone else seen anything like that before. Ill try and get a Photo up.

Anyway checked with kawasaki over here can you believe they want AU$700 for a New one! I nearly fell over. Found a Dynotek one though for half that price so going with that instead. any one got any feed back on the Dynotek??